Selling online through Craigslist list offers many advantages over other platforms such as eBay. 1) Most listings are free, like eBay, but unlike eBay, you don’t have a final value fee that is excessive. In fact, you don’t have a fee at all in most cases.
Items sold on Craigslist list are typically sold locally, instead of online. That means you are usually paid in cash and the buyer picks up the item. You have no shipping issues, and (watch out for counterfeit bills), you need not worry about getting paid for your product(as long as the buyer is present and pay’s you in cash).
I’ve been a long time eBay seller, and when they created the free listing, I thought it was great, but then you get the seller fees and you find out that’s not so great. They are now as much as 10% or more. Now I am more likely to sell on Craigslist list then on eBay’s site.
Unlike eBay, listing on Craigslist is fairly straightforward. follow the instructions and you’ll be ready in a matter of minutes:
Creating an account on Craigslist is not necessary, but is highly recommended. Having an account gives you more control over your listings and history. You don’t need to enter any financial information, but you do create a password.
In order to create a new account with Craigslist, look to the left hand upper side where you will first see “Craigslist”, then “post to classifieds”, and “my account”.
- Click on “my account”
- Look to the bottom left of the text area and click on “Sign up for an account”
- Add your email address and fill out the verification word in the box.
- You will receive an email with a link to activate your account.
- Upon receipt of email, click the link
- Select a password. Enter it, then retype the password and press “Submit Password and Log On”
- You should see a new screen with several options available. Choose from view your postings, Make a new posting, check your account settings, handle billing/accounting, and save drafts.
1. Browse to http://www.craigslist.org
2. The browser will have a world map, or a list of several categories with your local in the center of the top screen. If you do not have the right place, click on the Craigslist list link in the upper left hand corner and go to the world map page where you are able to select the correct place.
3. You will see your city’s name in the top center of the page, along with a bunch of different categories. Look to the upper left column, under Craigslist and click on Post to Classifieds.
4. Decide what type of posting you wish to make by looking through the list where you will select the closest option.
5. You will now be presented with a box showing the category you are selecting for post. Create a specific title for the item you have for sale. Keep it short, but give specifics such as model/condition and so on.
6. Enter the price you are asking for the item. List the price for the specific item in your title. Do not put zero or $1, put your real price. Refrain from listing multiple items in the same listing if they are not the same model and same price. You want your advertisement clearly marked for buyers who are scanning the Craigslist list..
7. Type in your email address into the reply to: box and then type it again. Do not put your email address or telephone number in the description unless you want to receive spam emails and unsolicited telephone calls.
8. Select “anonomyze” (your email will show as: email@example.com)
9. The next area is the “Posting Description”. Enter a detailed condition report of your item. This is a great place to specify local cash buyers only. Do not take checks and make sure you specify that you will not ship the item.
The reason you don’t want to ship, is you don’t want to deal with the scams that happen on Craigslist. Typically the scammer will contact you and ask, “Do you still have your item for sale”. They don’t even specify what item. If you respond, they ask you which item is yours to refresh their memory. Then they tell you they want to buy it, and are going to send you a cashiers check. They will send you more money to cover the shipping charges, and ask you to send the different using Western Union. This never ends well, and you’ll never get the money back. Worse, the Cashier’s Check typically is a fraudulent check and your bank will charge you back. Don’t make this mistake.
10. Select Continue and then you will be able to enter up to 8 pictures of your item. Keep the images high quality but no larger than 500 pixels by 500 pixels. The pictures will load faster. You don’t want to lose a buyer because the pictures take too long to load. After you have added your images, click “done with images”
11. Next is the confirmation page, make sure you have the correct email address, price title and description. once you are sure, you can click “continue”.
12. You will get a confirmation email asking you to confirm the listing. Make sure you click on the link supplied and keep that link, should you have a need to change your listing.
Note: Do a Google Search on the email address or telephone number the potential buyer gives for a reply. That way, you can feel comfortable doing your transaction at your home.
If you are unable to find any information on the buyer, opt for a public place such as a gas station, or some other public place.
Obviously, there are many more issues to consider when selling online using Craigslist list, and I’ll write more on that later.